Spanish rice and chicken is also called Arroz con Pollo. It is a dish that is relatively easy to make, generally quite low in fat and very tasty. The spices used are the same as those commonly used in Mexican food like tacos. Beef tacos can be quite high in fat unless you use lean ground beef like 93/7 or even 96/4.
Here are two Spanish or Mexican chicken and rice recipes for you to try. They are healthy, but filling choices and spicy enough to satisfy your cravings. The first one is a more traditional recipe. The second is the “easy” version of the two Spanish rice and Chicken recipes.
Skillet Chicken and Spanish Rice Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into chunks or strips
- ½ teaspoon chili powder (separated into ¼ teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (separated into ¾ teaspoon and ¼ teaspoon)
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or enough to coat the bottom of your large deep skillet)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 ounce can diced chili peppers (leave out if you prefer less heat)
- 2 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes (don’t drain the liquid)
- 1 ½ cups basmati rice
Heat your oil in a large deep skillet with a tight fitting lid. Add the chicken and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon chili powder, ¾ teaspoon cumin and ¼ teaspoon onion powder. Stir and cook until chicken is done. You are really going to enjoy this yummy Spanish rice and chicken recipe!
Remove the chicken and add a little more oil to the pan, if necessary, just enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the chopped peppers and the onion. Cook the vegetables until they are tender, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes.
Add the chicken broth, salsa, diced tomatoes, the remaining chili powder and cumin. Bring the mixture to a boil. Stir in the rice and return the chicken to the pan. Reduce heat to low and cover the pan. The rice should absorb all of the liquid and be tender in about 20 minutes. It helps to have a glass cover, so that you don’t have to keep checking the rice. Now for the easier Spanish rice and chicken recipe.
Easy Mexican Chicken and Rice recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped red, green or yellow pepper
- 1 package prepared Spanish Rice Mix (I like Near East which is free from MSG)
- 1 14 ½ ounce can diced tomatoes (do not drain the liquid)
- 1 ¼ cup low sodium chicken broth
Heat the oil in your large lidded skillet. Add the chicken and cook until it is lightly browned or to your desired doneness.
Just be sure the juices run clear and there is no pink in the center of the largest piece.
Add the onion and chopped pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the Spanish rice mix, the tomatoes and the broth. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes or according to the directions on the Spanish rice package.
Easy enough, right? Serve with a healthy mixed green salad for a quick easy and healthy family dinner!…